The Adventures of the Mountain Kiddos!

Monday, September 3, 2007

AND WITH A GLINT IN HER EAR...

Did I mean "a glint in her eye?"

Nope, her ear. Notice anything new?


That's right. Madigan has 2 more holes in her head. Filled with sparkly faux jewels. G, Maddy and I went shopping today to get running shoes for Maddy (cross country team training starts on Tuesday) and we decided to check out the ear piercing thing. We'd been talking abut it all weekend. We decided not to give it as a gift for her birthday as we didn't want her to feel pressured, in the event that she wasn't ready. I had explained that, yes, it would hurt. That it might be loud and startling. That it would stop hurting right away (because of the adrenaline) but that it might hurt a little later. Nothing a couple of Tylenol wouldn't help. I also told her that she could back out at any time. No problem. (Which, as it turns out, was a lie. Hmmm. What does that say about me?)

So, when we get there there is a girl, about Maddy's age, sitting in the piercing chair. She is straight-up dodging the piercing gun. Her mom is stressing, the piercing lady working at Claire's is stressing and telling her, "You have to keep still! I don't want to pierce you in the wrong place! Stop pulling away!" She is near tears. It's a beautiful scene. Madigan is being scarred just being in the room with them. I'm figuring that this trip will be a bust. Oh well.

So that fussy girl's mom finally says, "Forget it! Get down from there! I'm never doing this again!" igniting a flurry of emotion resulting in the girl's tears, and her ultimate piercing. "That's it?" she said when it was all done. Maddy notices this. Maybe there is hope yet.

So we shop for a few minutes and Maddy gives the go ahead. In the time it takes the piercing lady to get set up Maddy starts shaking and she turns pale. The piercing lady is at her wit's end and tells Maddy to stop stressing. I'm sure that tactic works for you as well as it did for Maddy. The lady brings the gun to Maddy's ear and that's when Maddy starts combo mumbling and whining, "No, no, no, no, no, No, NO, NO!"

And I say, "DO IT!"

She was fine. They look great.



And even though I suggested that a pierced tongue would be a huge hit with all the chicks in first grade (you know how the first grade girls are), Levi politely declined my offer and has no additional holes anywhere on his body.



He just looks so summertime delicious I wanted to share.